Friday, April 6, 2007

QotW10: There's Me, and then there's MEEEE



Living one life is hard enough. Having to live a Second Life (SL) – is it necessary? Games are not my forte, but the idea of exploring a virtual world is certainly intriguing, so I gave it a shot. Although I have to admit that SL is less a game, and more of living another life.

There were many obstacles to overcome from the very beginning. I had trouble registering, and then I had problems teleporting out of the orientation island. However, after these problems were settled, it seemed easier to maneuver around SL.




One of the first places I explored was the Hauwai zoo, a zoo that was beautifully created. (Above is a broad view of the zoo) I was amazed at the details of the place. Also, I could not believe that such a zoo could be created virtually. It was amazing. There were many animals, such as parrots, zebras and monkeys. I was the only visitor at the zoo at that time, so I had a free reign at exploring the zoo. I petted the monkeys ( that would be the closest I would be to a monkey in my real life) and stood close to the zebras. I don't think I would ever touch a monkey in a real life, but the idea of my avatar (which is actually represeting me) touching a monkey can give me the chills.




Of all the places I explored my favourite would be Dahab, Sinhai in Egypt. What attracted me to the place was the fact that it was in Egypt, and the tagline was a place to relax. With such a hectic schedule between school, work and family, my real self has barely any time to rest. So I figured it would interesting for my virtual self to rest and relax on my behalf. When I got there, I was amazed. it definately was not the Egypt that I expected. but it certainly was paradise. I certainly could relax at a place like this, and I did.

Other than just lying around, which I did quite a bit, I also enjoyed the free food fare that was available at every corner. There was a variety of sandwiches and ice cream to choose from and I thought to myself: this is heaven.


And if you are lazy to walk, no worries. There was a horse that you could around the area.


Trying to create an avatar that is similar to you is certainly no easy task. After awhile, I started to question the finer details of my features.

However, the ability to create your own avatar is certainly a way to express yourelf. For example, you could satisfy inner desires in regards to your features, or you could experriment with looks and styles to find something that suits you the best.

More than anything second life allows you to create a life you desire, where you can do whatever you want, whenever you want as long as it doesn;t hurt the other gamers. You have no one to answer to, except yourself. Only you can control yourself.

This assignment was certainly fun, as the first hand experience makes ie easier to express one's self.

No comments: